Projects per year
Professor Young received undergraduate and medical training at Cambridge University & St Georges Hospital, London, qualifying in 1971. Specialist training in Rheumatology & a Research Fellowship in Immunology were based at Middlesex Hospital, London. Took up consultant post in Rheumatology at St Albans, Herts in 1982. Continued research interests in rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and instigated and became Chief Investigator of two longitudinal cohorts in RA from 1986.
Main research interest have been in the outcomes & prognostic factors of RA, based on two UK multicentre inception cohorts, the early RA Study (ERAS, 1986-1998, NIHR Portfolio study in follow up) and the Early RA Network (ERAN, 2002-present, in collaboration with MRC Clinical Trials Group). Funded by grants from Arthritis Research UK, BUPA Foundation, HealthCare Commission & the NIHR E&H CLRN. National & international collaborations have resulted in around 50 major publications in peer reviewed journals. Supervised 3 MDs, 3 PhDs, 3 MScs since 1990. Findings have been used for national standard setting in both British Society of Rheumatology (BSR) & National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines on management of RA, the National Audit Office (NAO) report on RA, and in health economic analysis by NICE in appraisal of likely need and response to new biologic agents for RA.
Collaborated with researchers at University of Hertfordshire (UH) from 1995 which lead to a honorary academic post at UH and Postgraduate Medical School in 2009, and then a formal part time visiting professor post in 2012. This post involves maintaining and further developing the programme of original research and development in Rheumatology for Life & Medical Sciences and related disciplines:
- Leading funded research projects in collaboration with and support of colleagues within the local NHS and the University, in particular the Centre for Lifespan and Chronic Illness Research (CLiCIR), and other organisations
- Playing a leading role in the preparation of applications for grants from NIHR and other grant awarding bodies in association with colleagues from CLiCIR
- Submitting original articles for publication in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
- Playing a leading role in ensuring a high-quality submission involving the Postgraduate Medical School, CLiCIR and other members of the Health and Human Science Research Institute, in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework
- Developing links with the local NHS to promote engagement in Research and Development in Rheumatology within the locality
- Maintaining and further developing links with the Essex and Herts Clinical Research Network to promote engagement in Research and Development in Rheumatology within the locality
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Influence of Social Support, Financial Status, and Lifestyle on the Disparity Between Inflammation and Disability in Rheumatoid ArthritisGwinnutt, J. M., Norton, S., Hyrich, K. L., Lunt, M., Combe, B., Rincheval, N., Ruyssen‐Witrand, A., Fautrel, B., McWilliams, D. F., Walsh, D. A., Nikiphorou, E., Kiely, P. D. W., Young, A., Chipping, J. R., MacGregor, A. & Verstappen, S. M. M., 24 Apr 2023, In: Arthritis Care and Research. 75, 5, p. 1026-1035 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
The role of comorbidities alongside patient and disease characteristics in long-term disease activity in RA using UK inception cohort dataBusby, A., Wason, J., Pratt, A., Young, A., Isaacs, J. & Nikiphorou, E., 30 Nov 2022, In: Rheumatology. 61, 11, p. 4297-4304 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
P198 The role of comorbidities alongside patient and disease characteristics on long-term disease activity in RA using UK inception cohort dataBusby, A., Wason, J., Pratt, A., Young, A., Isaacs, J. & Nikiphorou, E., 23 Apr 2022. 1 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Poster › peer-review
The association between social deprivation and disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic literature reviewDey, M., Busby, A., Ewell, H., Lempp, H., Pratt, A., Young, A., Isaacs, J. & Nikiphorou, E., 21 Apr 2022, In: RMD Open. 8, p. 1-11 11 p., e002058.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Large joints are progressively involved in rheumatoid arthritis irrespective of rheumatoid factor status—results from the early rheumatoid arthritis studyZhao, S. S., Nikiphorou, E., Young, A. & Kiely, P. D. W., 16 Aug 2021, In: Rheumatology International. 42, 4, p. 621-629 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)