Projects per year
Antonis is a Reader (Associate Professor) in Innovative Construction Materials at the School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire. Previously he held the position of research fellow at the University of Cambridge (2013-2017) working on self-healing cement-based materials at the division of Civil Engineering (2013-2016) and on graphene modified construction materials at the Cambridge Graphene Centre (2016-2017). Prior to this, Antonis was lecturer in Civil Engineering at Frederick University Nicosia (2011-2013) and senior research fellow at the University of Cyprus (2007-2011).
Antonis is chartered engineer (CEng), chartered scientist (CSci), a member of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, a member of the Institute of Concrete Technology and Fellow of Higher Education Academy.
Commissions of Trust (Ongoing)
2023 – Head of Materials and Structures Research Group; Department of Engineering; School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science; University of Hertfordshire
2022 – Chair of the RILEM technical committee on upcycling “waste” materials in cementitious matrices (TC-UMW)
2021 – Leading working group 2 of the RILEM technical committee on carbon nano-modification of cement-based materials.
2020 – Head of Civil Engineering & Built Environment; Department of Engineering; School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science; University of Hertfordshire
2020 – Mentor of postdoctoral fellows; University of Cambridge
2019 – Co-Chair of the European Knowledge-based Multifunctional Materials Working Group 5 (Graphene & 2D Materials)
2018 – Reviewer for National Scholarship Foundation (Greece)
2016 – Reviewer for EPSRC
2014 – Reviewer for Flanders Research Foundation (Belgium) and Denmark Innovation Fund
2010 – Registered expert reviewer for the European Program “EUREKA”
2010 – Member of the European Structural Integrity Association
Editorial and Reviewer Roles
2022 – Associate editor in Construction Materials in Frontiers journal.
2021 – Guest editor of the special issue “Smart Composite Materials for Self-Sensing and Self-Healing in Civil and Environmental Engineering” at the MDPI “Crystals” and “Materials” journals.
2020 – Member of the editorial board of Elsevier’s “Results in Engineering” international journal.
2020 – Leading editor of the book “Self-healing construction materials: fundamentals, monitoring and large-scale application” published by Springer in late 2021.
2019 – Member of the editorial board of Elsevier’s “Developments in the Built Environment” international journal.
2017 – Guest editor of the special issue “Self-healing Construction Materials” at the Frontiers in Built Environment international journal.
2015 – Member of the editorial board of Elsevier’s “Heliyon” international journal.
2010 – Reviewer for: Smart Materials and Structures; Crystals; Materials; Construction and Building Materials; International Journal of Fracture; Structural Engineering and Mechanics; ACI Structural Journal; ACI Materials Journal; ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering; ICE Structures and Buildings; Journal of Civil Engineering and Management; International Journal of Sustainable Energy; Materials; 6th International RILEM Symposium on SCC – SCC 2010, Montreal; 9th International Symposium on High Performance Concrete – HPC 2011, Rotorua; 7th International RILEM Symposium on SCC – SCC 2013, Paris.
- 2D materials and Civil Infrastructure
- Nano-technology in cement-based composites
- Digital fabrication and 3D printing in construction
- Self-healing materials
- Self-sensing materials
- Early age cracking in cement-based materials
- Sustainable cements and concretes
- High durability concretes
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Concrete Technology
- Sustainability in Construction
- Design of concrete structures
- Fracture Mechanics
Commercial and public engagement
- Construction and Building Materials
- Smart Materials and Structures
- International Journal of Fracture
- Structural Engineering and Mechanics
- ACI Structural Journal
- ACI Materials Journal
- ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- ICE Structures and Buildings
- Journal of Civil Engineering and Management
- International Journal of Sustainable Energy
- 6th International RILEM Symposium on SCC – SCC 2010, Montreal
- 9th International Symposium on High Performance Concrete – HPC 2011, Rotorua
- 7th International RILEM Symposium on SCC – SCC 2013, Paris.
Invited Talks and Keynote Lectures
- “Self-healing construction materials: Learning from Nature”, Cambridge Science Centre – “Lifeworks” exhibition, October 2016
- “Microencapsulation and bacterial healing for cement based composites”, The University of Hong Kong- People's Republic of China, 28/01/2015
- “Self-healing cement based composites using microencapsulation and bacteria” at “The Sino-UK Workshop on Self-Healing Materials”, Shenzhen - People's Republic of China, 23-25/01/2015
- Keynote lecture on “Mimicking nature: Developing concepts for self-healing construction materials” at Laing O’Rourke Graduate Conference Cambridge - UK, 09/12/2014
- “Microencapsulation for self-healing of cement based composites” atGhent University - Belgium, 15-16/12/2014
- “Self-healing cement based composites using microcapsules”at “Repair Strategies for Civil Infrastructure” organised by CH2M Hill IDC, Swindon - UK, 05/12/2014
- “Development of self-healing construction materials”, Department of Chemical Engineering, Cambridge - UK, 24/10/2014
- “Development of microcapsules for self-healing cement based composites” atTU Delft - Netherlands, 22-24/09/2014
- “Self-healing materials for the hydrocarbon extraction industry” atTullow Oil Plc, London - UK, 16/04/2014
- Keynote lecture on “Learning from nature: Self-healing construction materials” at “Society of Petroleum Engineers Forum Series – Zonal Isolation to the Extreme”, Vilamoura - Portugal, 16-21/02/2014.
Project and Enterprises Management, MSc, University College London (UCL)
Award Date: 18 Oct 2006
Concrete Technology, PhD, Autogenous Shrinkage of UHPFRCCs
Award Date: 12 Jul 2005
Structural Engineering, MSc, Cardiff University
Award Date: 16 Jul 2002
Civil Engineering, BEng (Hons), Cardiff University
Award Date: 12 Jul 2000
Reviewer, UKRI - UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC)
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Kanellopoulos, A. & Norambuena, J.
9/09/19 → 8/09/21
27/03/19 → 26/03/20
1/01/19 → 31/12/19
1/01/19 → 31/12/19
Proceedings of Abstracts, School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science Research Conference 2022Coudron, L. (ed.), Amafabia, D., Asimea, L., Bally, J., Baran, A., Boies, A., Borjali, A., Bosomworth, C., Burningham, B., Chaliasou, N-A., CHEN, Y. K., Cheong, Y. K., Chizari, M., Chung, E., Coppin, K., David-West, O., Dennler, N., Dhakal, H., Dimov, N., Dmitruk, E., & 98 others, 4 Nov 2022, University of Hertfordshire. 128 p.
Research output: Book/Report › AnthologyOpen AccessFile78 Downloads (Pure)
Effect of rejuvenating oil type on the synthesis and properties of alginate-based polynuclear capsules for asphalt self-healingConcha, J. L., Arteaga-Perez, L. E., Alpizar-Reyes, E., Segura, C., Gonzalez-Torre, I., Kanellopoulos, A. & Norambuena-Contreras, J., 24 Jun 2022, In: Road Materials and Pavement Design. 24, 7, p. 1669-1694 26 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review1 Citation (Scopus)
Kanellopoulos, A. (ed.) & Norambuena-Contreras, J. (ed.), 2022, Springer Nature. 226 p. (Engineering Materials and Processes)
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Recycling mine tailings as precursors for cementitious binders – Methods, challenges and future outlookMaruthupandian, S., Chaliasou, N-A. & Kanellopoulos, A., 20 Dec 2021, In: Construction and Building Materials. 312, 23 p., 125333.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile69 Downloads (Pure)
Irfan, M. S., Ali, M. A., Khan, K. A., Umer, R., Kanellopoulos, A. & Abdul Samad, Y., 1 Nov 2021, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Engineering Reports. 12 p., e12468.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile22 Downloads (Pure)