Projects per year
Prof Pinfield is a research astronomer and lecturer in physics astronomy and maths. His main research interests are in the areas of brown dwarfs, extra-solar planets and cool stars. He is the leader of an FP7 Initial Training Network (RoPACS) that focuses on planets and cool stars, and is co-PI of a >100 night planet transit survey as part of this network. He also leads projects exploiting large-scale near-mid infrared sky surveys (UKIDSS, VISTA and WISE) for ultra-cool science. In addition he carries out research to foster ongoing developments for future space-based studies of extra-solar planets, and collaborates in this area with Astrium (Europe's largest space engineering company) in Stevenage.
- Searching for cool star planets and eclipsing systems using the transit technique
- Revealing the nature of brown dwarfs from population studies
- Understanding ultra-cool atmospheres using benchmark brown dwarfs
- Measuring the properties of cool stars
- Radial velocity techniques for planet detection
- Detection of exoplanet reflected/emitted light
- Fostering the science of future space observatories (e.g. ESA Cosmic Vision)
- Undergraduate final year research projects (coordinator and provider)
- Astrophysics lectures, including in extra-solar planets and brown dwarfs
- Teacher training course at East-of-England Science Learning Centre "Bringing contemporary science to the classroom", helping teachers use modern astrophysics in their GCSE teaching
- Range of lecturing experience in physics astronomy and mathematics
Commercial and public engagement
- Collaboration with Astrium fostering Cosmic Vision related initiatives - Astrium are partners in Dr Pinfield's RoPACS network
- Offer joint research/industry final year undergraduate projects with Astrium
- Coordinating Nuffield bursary summer student projects in astronomy at UH (through SetPoint) - up to ~10 sixth form students supervised each summer (on 4 week projects)
- Public talks on astronomy, including European Astrofest 2012 and the Scandinavian Astronomy Society conference (2013)
- 1 Similar Profiles
- 14 Finished
Jones, H. R. A., Pavlenko, Y., Lyubchik, Y., Bessell, M., Allard, N. & Pinfield, D. J., 12 May 2023, In: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 14 p., stad1391.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Gauza, B., Béjar, V. J. S., Rebolo, R., Álvarez, C., Zapatero Osorio, M. R., Bihain, G., Caballero, J. A., Pinfield, D. J., Telesco, C. M. & Packham, C., 15 Dec 2021, In: The Astrophysical Journal. 923, 1, 24 p., 119.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Egea, E. G., Koester, D., Rogers, L. K., Marocco, F., Cooper, W. J., Beamin, J. C., Burningham, B., Day-Jones, A., Forbrich, J. & Pinfield, D. J., 12 Dec 2020, In: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)
Primeval very low-mass stars and brown dwarfs - VI. Population properties of metal-poor degenerate brown dwarfsZhang, Z. H., Burgasser, A. J., Galvez-Ortiz, M. C., Lodieu, N., Osorio, M. R. Z., Pinfield, D. J. & Allard, F., 1 Jun 2019, In: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 486, 1, p. 1260-1282 23 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)
Smart, R. L., Bucciarelli, B., Jones, H. R. A., Marocco, F., Andrei, A. H., Goldman, B., Mendez, R. A., d'Avila, V. A., Burningham, B., Camargo, J. I. B., Crosta, M. T., Daprà, M., Jenkins, J. S., Lachaume, R., Lattanzi, M. G., Penna, J. L., Pinfield, D. J., Neto, D. N. D. S., Sozzetti, A. & Vecchiato, A., 11 Dec 2018, In: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 481, 3, p. 3548-3562 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)57 Downloads (Pure)