Diseases of winter linseed: occurrence, effects and importance

S. A. M. Perryman, P. Gladders, A. Barrow, B. Simons, Bruce D.L. Fitt

Research output: Book/ReportOther report

407 Downloads (Pure)


In 1998, a survey of the incidence and severity of diseases was carried out on 30 crops of winter linseed at early flowering and again at crop maturity. Five crops each were selected in south west, east, east Midlands, west Midlands and north of England and from Scotland. Crops were predominantly cv. Oliver (90% crops), grown from certified seed (83%) and sown in September (97%). Pasmo (Mycosphaerella) was the most important disease, affecting leaves of 73% crops at early flowering and 90% crops at maturity. Powdery mildew (70% crops), Alternaria (30% crops) on leaves and Botrytis on capsules (70% crops) were also
common. Regional differences were apparent for powdery mildew, which was present in all regions except the southwest, whilst Alternaria predominated in the Midlands. Half of the crops surveyed had received fungicide sprays, but this appeared to have made limited impact on disease severity. Pasmo is a new threat to UK linseed crops and this raises concerns about the threat it poses to spring linseed
Original languageEnglish
Number of pages80
Publication statusPublished - 2001

Publication series

NameProject Report


Dive into the research topics of 'Diseases of winter linseed: occurrence, effects and importance'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this